It is very important to measure the turbidity of domestic water supplies, as these supplies often undergo some type of water treatment which can be affected by turbidity. For example, during the rainy season when mud and silt are washed into rivers and streams, high turbidity can quickly block filters and stop them from working effectively. High turbidity will also fill tanks and pipes with mud and silt and can damage valves and taps. Where chlorination of water is practiced, even quite low turbidity will prevent the chlorine killing the germs in the water efficiently.
Some treatment systems, such as sediments, coagulators and gravel prefilters are designed to remove turbidity. It is important for operators of both large and small treatment systems to know how well these systems are working. Measuring the turbidity of the water before and after each part of the system can tell the operator where maintenance or cleaning is needed.
Turbidity can be measured using either an electronic turbidity meter or a turbidity tube. Both methods have advantages and disadvantages, as shown below. Turbidity is usually measured in nephelometric turbidity units (NTU) or Jackson turbidity units (JTLJ), depending on the method used for measurement. The two units are roughly equal.
High performance portable turbidity meter, 2 to 5 points calibration, selectable 4 turbidity units. The meter is suitable for process control and field use.
• Easy-to-use portable turbidity meter comes with a standard carrying case.
• 2 to 5 points push-button calibration using the Formazin Standards.
• Selectable 4 turbidity units, including the NTU, FNU, EBC and ASBC.
• Single measurement mode automatically recognizes and holds the stable reading.
• Continuous measurement mode can be used for indexing or matching the sample vials.
• Auto-Power Off effectively conserves battery life.
• Setup menu allows setting the 7 parameters, including the number of calibration points,
resolution, date and time, etc.
• Reset feature automatically resumes all settings back to factory default options.
• Expanded memory stores and recalls up to 100 data sets.
• Stored data can be transferred into computer by USB communication interface.
• Multi-mode power scheme (battery, power adapter or USB port) ensures that use the